About Me

My photo
I am a young college student in New England trying to find my path towards a career in literature. I am also trying to find my path in the maze that is Bipolar depression and mood disorder. I believe that there is something divine in the pain of life, and I have great hope and love for those sufferers.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

I get by with a little help from....

It's a scientific fact that loneliness does as much damage to a person as heart disease or diabetes. Whether we want to accept it or not, as humans we are wired to long for physical contact. When we do not receive it our brains send out a signal that something crucial to our survival is missing. It is the same signal that is sent out for food and water. In fact, given the choice between physical contact and comfort over food and water, we will choose the first. It is also true that one can be completely alone in a crowd. I do not have to be shipwrecked on a desert island to feel that my soul has no mate. I do not have to be secluded in an isolation cell to feel that my words will never be heard. In fact, I'm usually quite cramped with people. But my soul is the only echo in a very empty room. And if you do not feel love, if you cannot pour it into your heart so that it overflows and you leave marks of happiness wherever you go....then love does not exist for you. Words can be an immense comfort. They can make us feel connected....until you realize that words are all you have. Words cannot help you stand when you are bent in half by emotion. Words cannot warm you with embrace.

Just as words won't fill a hungry belly, words won't fill an empty room. And there aren't words enough to express The Pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment